1. Legend has it a 9th-century Ethiopian goat herder discovered coffee by accident when he noticed how crazy the beans were making his goats.
2. New Yorkers drink almost 7 times more coffee than other cities in the US.
3. Coffee is a psychoactive. And at high doses it can make you see things… It can also kill you…
4. The lethal dose of caffeine is roughly 100 cups of coffee.
5. A French doctor in the 1600s suggested Cafe Au Laits for patients, inspiring people to begin adding milk to coffee.
6. The French philosopher Voltaire is said to have drank 50 cups of coffee a day. Because he ruled.
7. Espresso is regulated by the Italian government because it is considered an essential part of their daily life
8. Hawaii is the only state that commercially grows coffee. And this is what it looks like:
9. In the ancient Arab culture there was only one way a woman could legally divorce: If her husband didn’t provide enough coffee.
10. Coffee beans are actually the pit of a berry, which makes them a fruit. The best fruit.
11. IMPORTANT TO KNOW: Brewed espresso has 2.5% fat, while filtered coffee contains 0.6% fat.
12. Johan Sebastian Bach wrote an opera about a woman who was addicted to coffee.
13. We’re not going to tell you how, but there is a way to brew coffee with marijuana in it and it is described as producing a “dreamy” kind of coffee buzz.
14. Unlike the hip 20-something Baristas in the US, in Italy the average Barista age is 48, and it is a very respected profession.
15. Want to know the history of the word “coffee”? Well here it is: